Vermicompost is the New and Improved Miracle Grow
It is a soil amendment, better than any chemical fertilizer, farming animal manure or standard, thermophilic compost. It can reverse the damage done to yards and gardens by chemical fertilizers. Chemical fertilizers have damaged or destroyed the natural fertility and health of what used to be a living thing. Vermicompost, also called Worm Compost, can revitalize and restore that life and fertility better and faster than anything else. It has more NPK than any other compost or manmade fertilizers. Worm Compost has approx. 2-3% nitrogen, 1.55-2.25% phosphorus, and 1.85-2.25% potassium, along with micronutrients, beneficial soil microbes and has been proven to contain “plant growth hormones and enzymes”. The NPK and micronutrients have availability quality than any other compost and the natural growth hormones and enzymes function as a natural pesticide and herbicide. It truly is an all-natural “Miracle Grow”.
Chemical Fertilizers and the Damage They Have Done
In the 1950’s and 60’s, we saw the invention of chemical fertilizers. It was looked at as an amazing product that stimulated the growth of plants and increased food productivity. But it decreased the nutritional quality of the food being produced. These chemical fertilizers started damaging our soil by killing the microorganisms and earthworms that produced the vitality within the soil. With the decrease of these microorganisms and earthworms, the natural hormones and enzymes diminished in our soil. The result, plants had little to no resistance to pests and diseases. Again, industries answer was chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides. These chemicals, also damage our soil and are killing the pollinators which so many of our food crops depend on.
Thermophilic Composting the Organic Waste going to the Landfills
Today, many believe the answer is the combination of reclaiming the organic wastes that have been going to the landfills through thermophilic composting combined with Organic Farming. An estimate of 60-70% of the material going to the landfills is organic waste that can be composted. This would provide plenty of NPK, micro and macro nutrients, and soil microbes. This compost also helps promote natural resistance to pests and diseases. Composts are aerobically decomposed products of organic wastes such as cattle dung and other herbivore animal droppings. As well as farm and forest wastes and the municipal solid wastes (MSW). All composts work as a slow release fertilizer, whereas chemical fertilizers release the NPK quickly.
Vermicompost vs Thermophilic Compost
So which is better, standard (thermophilic) composting, or vermicomposting (worm composting)?
- First, let’s look at speed. Thermophilic composting takes about twice as long as worm composting, aka vermicomposting.
- Second, vermicompost has a larger and more diverse population of microorganisms. And has plant growth regulators that other composts do not have. Vermicompost has been proven to have more of all the vitally needed nutrients than other composts. And it provides them to the plants for a longer period of time.
- Third, the increase in microbes, organic matter, and other nutrients attracts native worms increasing the future vitality of that soil.
- Forth, worm compost has better water holding properties and decreases topsoil loss from water run-off over other composts.
- Finally, in growth trials, worm compost has shown an increase in crop production yields over other composts.
Studies show that vermicompost works even better when it is covered with mulch. This provides the microbes and earthworms a moist environment promoting an increase in the population of the microbes and earthworms. Worm Composting is easy, fun, and so beneficial. With a pound of Red Wigglers, or Compost Worm Mix, a container, and some knowledge you’ll be making a difference.